There are a number of steps you can take to prepare an app for an eventual upgrade to Rails 4.0. Taking these steps now will simplify the upgrade later.
1. Upgrade everything else possible
It seems simple, but upgrade everything else possible first. This means ensuring you’re on Ruby 1.9.3 or 2.0.
Update as many other gems as possible too.
bundle outdated may be a helpful tool. Just know that it lists all potential upgrades, not just upgrades that are compatible with your existing Rails 3.2 stack. (For example, it will list the Rails 4 gems.)
2. Move to strong_parameters
Rails 4 ditches attr_accessible/attr_protected in the models and replaces them with controller-based handling. This has the benefit of letting each controller handle things individually. The new format looks something like this:
It may be worthwhile to search your entire code base for /^ and $/ (not just app/models/*.rb) as an incorrect RegExp could potentially have security implications for your app.
5. Update routes.rb
Rails 4 places new restrictions on the match method in routes.rb.
Search routes.rb for match. For each occurance, if it only needs to allow a single HTTP verb, just change it to get, post, put, or delete.
If it needs to allow multiple verbs, then explicitly list them using :via:
1match '/contact', via: [:get, :post]
6. Ensure your test suite passes
If you have tests, make sure they’re not broken before you even start.
If there are a few holes in your test suite, now might be a good time to plug them.
If you don’t have a test suite, ideally you’d consider writing one now. But that’s pretty unrealistic, so just prepare to spend some extra time exercising the various parts of your app when you do the Rails 4 upgrade. If you have any particularly fragile parts of your app, it might be worth considering writing a few tests for those areas.
In the past I’ve used Textile markup for this blog, processed by the RedCloth gem. It has done (and continues to do) a good job.
However, it seems the trend is toward Markdown. GitHub, StackExchange, and others have all embraced it. A new project I’m working on will also be using Markdown.
It seemed like it was time to move to Markdown here on the blog too.
There are a number of gems capable of processing Markdown. However, one of the most extensive appears to be redcarpet. It has baked-in support for most of GFM (GitHub-flavored Markdown), which is a bonus.
Going forward, all posts will be rendered accordingly. As a bonus, GFM’s fenced-code-blocks are much cleaner than what I had hacked in previously, so there should be fewer weird-syntax-highlighting issues. I don’t plan on going back to cleanup the old posts though.
Oh, and comments now enjoy Markdown too! Yay!
As an aside, way back I discussed syntax highlighting in rails. My current gem of choice is coderay. Most of the options are just Ruby wrappers for the Python-based pygments. That’s a viable solution, but if you want to keep it Ruby-native, then coderay is a nice alternative.
One of my long running habits when dealing with databases has been to use transactions. Transactions simplify handling errors in complex, multi-record operations.
More recently, I’ve been using transactions to wrap external API calls that I also need to store data about. External APIs fail. For that matter, internal APIs fail too, so let’s simplify that: APIs fail. Sometimes for no good reason.
Accordingly, it’s necessary to be able to fail gracefully in the face of such circumstances. Failing gracefully includes not only rendering meaningful error messages, but also not leaving local data in an unexpected state.
Transactions provide a simple, clean way to resolve this issue too. And they seem all but indispensable when combining multi-record operations with APIs.
Lately I’ve been doing more work with NoSQL databases. They’re fantastic for certain use cases. But the near universal lack of transaction support is annoying at best.
So now the challenge is how to work around the overall issue and provide as robust an experience as possible within the local app.
Once again it has become time to refresh the site design. Looking back, it appears the last site refresh was in July of 2007—I’m not sure if 5 years on the same design demonstrates longevity and consistency, or if it just means I’m horribly overdue.
Regardless, now everything is nice and shiny. One of the goals of the new design was to do my best to leverage HTML5 and CSS3, including new HTML5 tags and use of many of the newer CSS features. As a consequence, the only image file is the background. Everything else is CSS effects along with a couple CSS fonts.
I also used the refresh as an excuse to experiment with responsive design. I haven’t had a chance to test a wide array of small-screen devices yet, but on the ones I have access to (various iDevices), the site is usable. I’d love to hear your experience, good or bad, on any kind of smaller-screen device.
Other changes include numerous updates to the software stack (Rails 3.2, etc.), better syntax highlighting (now with line numbers!), and improved (in theory) spam filtering.